Canal tunnel clean-up
Canal & River Trust volunteers have been removing graffiti from the Kennet & Avon canal tunnel under Cleveland House and Sydney Road in Bath. While getting rid of the 21st century stuff, they found graffiti dating back to Georgian England.
The initials ‘C.Y.M.’ were had been carved into the Bath stone, alongside the year ‘1824’. They also found ‘J.P. 1896’ carved into the stone.
The trust has been helped by a leading expert in the field of removing graffiti, Jamie Fairchild of Restorative Techniques. He has trained Canal & River Trust employees and volunteers to remove damaging paint marks without harming the stonework.